The tomato is a vegetable widely used in the Mediterranean diet. It is light and perfectly combinable with any other food. It is the base of many traditional dishes and is the perfect complement to salads, in addition it is the main ingredient of the Spanish star dish, gazpacho. Undoubtedly, the tomato is a food worthy of daily consumption and one of the most important in CINATUR´s production of vegetables.
To put us in context, the nutritional information per 100 grams of tomato is as follows:
- Calories – 17 Kcal
- Proteins – 1.1 grams
- Carbohydrates – 2.9 grams
- Total Fat – 0.2 grams
- Cholesterol – 0 milligrams
As we can see, the tomato is a very light food. It has a lot of minerals and vitamins, and has practically no fat. In addition, the total percentage of water that has this vegetable is approximately 94%.
The benefits of tomatoes are many. First, it helps prevent many heart diseases thanks to its high content of lycopene (providing the red color), an antioxidant very beneficial to our body. Also, having a low sodium level, tomato becomes an ideal food for those suffering from hypertension.
On the other hand, the vitamins that this vegetable brings us are Vitamin A, B1, B2, C and E, being the main A and C. It also contains minerals such as Potassium, Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium and Iron, being the first of all the predominant.
The most common and most used types of tomatoes in our kitchen are the following:
- Cherry tomatoes: There are many varieties from more acidic to sweeter than yellow. They are ideal as a complement in salads and bring a lot of flavor.
- Raf tomato: its main characteristic is that it has an irregular shape and has a darker color. They are usually small in size and have a lot of flavor.
- Pear tomatoes: they are usually used for gazpachos or cold creams because they are very meaty and have a lot of pulp.
- Hanging tomatoes: they have many seeds and a lot of pulp, which is why they are the most used to spread on bread.
- Heart of ox: They have a very fine skin and have practically no seeds. They are perfect for salad, as they have a lot of raw flavor.
As fruits and vegetables exporters, CINATUR takes great care of the production so that it is of quality and for the enjoyment of our final consumer.